Customized e-courses are courses that organizations prefer to develop through external companies who provide e-learning services. This makes sense at many different levels.
- It frees their internal training staff into channelizing their capabilities into catering to the training needs of the organization as a whole, not just a specific need or group.
- Many small or medium organizations, who are in their growing phase, cannot invest huge amounts into developing e-learning services.
- Another reason is the amount of red-tape that one encounters in accessing corporate learning platforms. Material that is to be uploaded also has to go through various screenings and approvals – which prove to be a great hindrance in providing trainings as per need.
Moving around such constrains within the organization can be tedious and time consuming. On the other hand, customized e-courses can be run on stand-alone basis and are a better solution.
However when developing custom elearning courses, there are a few challenges which need to be addressed.
- If the training is web-based, it needs to be assured that every learner has internet access and available bandwidth to view all the functions within the e-learning solution. If computers or internet access is not available, the logistics of bringing the learner group to the learning medium need to be worked out.
- It is best to think about the extent of tracking that needs to be done beforehand and find a solution for it. If it is that basic information like the number of learners completing the course, the tracking portal can be designed such. If more information like the time taken by individual learners or the number of logins by an individual learner needs to be tracked, the tracking mechanism can keep that in mind.
- A concern when designing a customized e-learning solution is that it should be user-friendly. It is prudent to assume that the learner has not encountered such a training course before and has to be initiated smoothly into the workings of it.
- The team that is providing the e-learning services has to pitch in and provide support when needed. Be it a query on the content of the course or a technical issue, every query needs to be addressed to ensure that the training is effective in reaching out to the learner.
The need for customized e-learning courses is growing continually. E-learning is part of the corporate world now and organizations are fast realizing the worth of e-learning solutions for different groups within their structure.