COBIT (Control Objective for Information and Related Technology) is a framework created by ISACA for the governance and management of IT operations. This framework is used as a supportive approach by managers to bridge the gap between business risks, technical issues and control requirements.
At present, COBIT5 is being used by managers worldwide, who are responsible for IT business processes. COBIT5 is applied to all types of organisations across industries. In other words, COBIT guarantees control, quality and reliability of information system in enterprises, which is one of the most important aspects of modern business.
COBIT5 Includes 5 Components
- Processes – COBIT5’s reference model establishes a common language that can be easily understood by every individual in an organisation. The process descriptions include planning, executing and monitoring of all IT processes.
- Framework – It assists in organising the aims and objectives of IT governance and brings in the industry’s best practices in IT processes and domains. It links together various business requirements in an optimized approach.
- Maturity models – The framework analyses and assesses the capability and maturity of every process whilst addressing the gaps.
- Control objectives – This involves a comprehensive list of requirements that has been established by management for result-driven IT business control.
- Management guidelines – COBIT helps in assigning responsibilities, assessing and measuring performances, agreeing on common business objectives and highlighting better interrelationships with every process. The framework helps to streamline the whole process for a seamless integration of IT processes holistically.
The Benefits Gained by COBIT5 Foundation Certification
Organisations, whose primary responsibility involves the management of business processes and related technologies, extensively make use of COBIT. It is one of the most popular, important and resourceful methods for enterprises that depend on technology to gain relevant and reliable information. With a COBIT5 certification, individuals and organisations will be able to stay prepared for the global challenges faced by IT processes and also be able to deliver significant amount of expert and useful information on the issues of IT management and how they affect the functioning of an organisation.
Additionally, the certification will empower professionals to better understand the principles of IT governance and enterprise IT. They will be able to establish the difference between governance and management.
The Eligibility for Enrolling in a COBIT Course
There is no formal qualification required to take up the COBIT5 Foundation online course other than prior knowledge and experience of providing IT service. The course is particularly beneficial for candidates who already understand the basic nuances and details of IT governance in business management practices. As such, the course is useful for the risk committees, process owners and audit committee members of an organisation, IT managers/CIOs/IT directors and IT professionals in risk, audit, security, assurance and all IT practitioners in the private, non-for profit and public sectors.